Wednesday 6 March 2013

Sharing Secrets I.: My favorite patterns for bra or bikini top

   One of the things I like making best is bikini tops or bras. The basic cups are relatively easy to make, and the ornamenting possibilities are simply endless. I've tried some different methods for making the bra cups, here's what worked for me best. (I found these patterns online, I don't own them and they are not my creations)
crochet bikini top pattern

    I know it's a little hard to see because the picture is small, but maybe you can get the idea. It starts in the middle with single chains, then the rounds go on the two sides of the original chain, building up the cup from the center, working outward. The increase happens on the center line, adding an extra double crochet-single chain-double crochet group to each round.

    I like this pattern because the increase gives a nice shape to the cup, although sometimes I find that the single chain in the center can make a small opening on the texture, not too big, but you can see it if you look close.

Another one I like a lot is this one:

crochet bikini top pattern

     I haven't tried to make the trim yet, but I found the cup pattern very useful. Although it has a very similar way of building up the cup from the center, but without the small holes on the center line I experienced with the first one. This one has no single chain increase, only double crochets, so the texture stays nice and even.

    I think the real trick is to find the right length of the starting center chain, based on the weight of your yarn and the desired cup size. Sometimes it takes some trial and error to find out, but it's definitely worth it!

Do you know an even better way? Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment